• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double Standards

#1 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

A player manager from a team locally (who's tech savvy) has recently posted a 'League Notice' on the League website on behalf of the committee saying......
""The XXXXX committee would like to inform all teams that following the last set of managers meetings we are actively trying to help with the issues of obtaining referees for matches and the levels of consistency in refereeing within the league.
We have asked the FA to compile a list of referees who are willing to referee on Saturday mornings and are currently awaiting further communication on this.

Once we have this list we have 3 members of the committee who have agreed to meet with referees to communicate our ethos in the hope that this should bring about some co-ordination and consistency in the refereeing.

However we do ask for patience in this. Contacting and meeting referees and enacting change will take time; but the League expects to see the benefits of this exercise come through gradually over this season and much more noticeably next season""

He then goes and posts on his rather excellent home team website this comment from his own match report of a recent game..... ""The hosts drew first blood from the penalty spot as the ball was adjudged to be handled on the line by XXXXX who was rightly cautioned by the referee"""......

I await this meeting with baited breath, just what type of consistency is he wanting!!!! http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gifhttp://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gifhttp://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 08 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

#2 User is offline   Gary V 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Calls made against my team are incorrect; those made for my team are right. Isn't that obvious? I had a youth match where the coach approached me before the game and, before saying hello, how are you, hope we get the game in before it rains, he says, "You have to watch that team - they push." Guess which team did most of the pushing?

Don't you have referee secretaries or some similar name that recruit and assign referees to the game? Do they need to be vetted by the FA or the county? (We call them assignors in USSF, and they need to go through a certification process just like referees or assessors.)

This post has been edited by Gary V: 08 December 2015 - 09:38 PM

#3 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

In fairness it is possible to handle the ball on or neat the line without it being DOGSO, perhaps he just didn't explain it right.

Gary, yes most leagues in the UK have "Referee's Secretaries", but there is no vetting of these people that I am aware of (and I should know ..!).

#4 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:43 PM

View PostRustyRef, on 08 December 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

In fairness it is possible to handle the ball on or neat the line without it being DOGSO, perhaps he just didn't explain it right.

Gary, yes most leagues in the UK have "Referee's Secretaries", but there is no vetting of these people that I am aware of (and I should know ..!).

Rusty, Ive already checked with one of his players and it was as clear a DOGSO as you could see!!!! I don't think they truly expect a red card as we know and anything else is refs being over officious!!!

#5 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 08 December 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

Rusty, Ive already checked with one of his players and it was as clear a DOGSO as you could see!!!! I don't think they truly expect a red card as we know and anything else is refs being over officious!!!

Perhaps by consistency he means all referees should be incorrect in law then ...?!

#6 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:22 PM

View PostRustyRef, on 09 December 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

Perhaps by consistency he means all referees should be incorrect in law then ...?!

That's exactly what I mean...... I have ploughed a furrow somewhere between a 75 year old active referee that can't see a foul if it happened in front of his rocking chair in the center circle and the worlds maddest referee (you've seen the local video last year). The standard is pretty poor really with only 2/3 decent referees of note that I'm aware of. Doing it by the LOTG book certainly isn't the norm or what they expect.... I gave a HB free kick on the weekend when a keeper went well out of his box still carrying the ball, a player had a pop not because I was wrong but because no other referees would have given it... I said it was still hand ball either way and I didn't care what other refs let go...

#7 User is offline   lincs22 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 08 December 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

View PostRustyRef, on 09 December 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

We all know that for referees to be consistent is to reduce it to the lowest common standard :P/>/> . Therefore DOGSO become yellows, etc.
This is not a problem until they get a good level referee who does it properly and they then "ruin the game" by being officious!!!

They should be talking about raising the standard not consistency but with a lack of referees not much of a hope.

This post has been edited by lincs22: 10 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users