• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wednesday vs Leeds

#1 User is offline   Danny-r 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

What do we think of the disallowed goal. I think he's got himself into a situation where he's wrong either way but should never have restarted play if he's actioned a substitution and restarted as the players about to leave.

#2 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostDanny-r, on 16 January 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

What do we think of the disallowed goal. I think he's got himself into a situation where he's wrong either way but should never have restarted play if he's actioned a substitution and restarted as the players about to leave.

Major **** up really, had to be a restart from the corner however Steve Evans saw it!!!

#3 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

I really don't know what he was thinking. He gave permission for the change to take place, so the only way that can be cancelled is if the 4th official tells him the player coming on wasn't ready, and that clearly wasn't the case. If he thought Forestieri was taking too long to go off, and he was, then he has to go over to hurry him up and caution if necessary. He certainly can't restart play whilst a team are two men down and indeed his own refereeing team are two men down as they are in the middle of dealing with a substitution.

It was a very strange performance overall from a referee I think is one of the best we have. His use of advantage was all over the place, twice stopping promising attacks to give a free kick, and he just wasn't at the races right from the kick off. I do wonder if the late call up to replace Kevin Friend through his preparation out and this contributed to the problems.

#4 User is offline   Danny-r 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

View PostRustyRef, on 16 January 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

I really don't know what he was thinking. He gave permission for the change to take place, so the only way that can be cancelled is if the 4th official tells him the player coming on wasn't ready, and that clearly wasn't the case. If he thought Forestieri was taking too long to go off, and he was, then he has to go over to hurry him up and caution if necessary. He certainly can't restart play whilst a team are two men down and indeed his own refereeing team are two men down as they are in the middle of dealing with a substitution.

It was a very strange performance overall from a referee I think is one of the best we have. His use of advantage was all over the place, twice stopping promising attacks to give a free kick, and he just wasn't at the races right from the kick off. I do wonder if the late call up to replace Kevin Friend through his preparation out and this contributed to the problems.

From the clips I've seen, it does also seem that Taylor glances over at Forestieri before allowing play to restart.

I must say, I think we all have a referee like this, but despite peoples claims that he's a top referee, I only ever seem to watch him when he has a shocker. The last shocker he had at Elland Road also involved the 4th official, in which he made the correct decision and then allowed the 4th official, who was about 30 yards further away from the incident than the referee, to change his mind and dismiss the player for a second caution, when he was originally going to caution for simulation, which would have been correct.

#5 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

I think what he's done is looked over and seen Forestieri (known as Fessi by the Wednesday fans ..!) and as he was walking so slowly he didn't realise he was the one going off. But given Joao was still stood on the half way line with the 4th official and Andy Halliday I can't really work out how he got to that conclusion.

I have the opposite view to you as whenever I've seen Taylor referee he has been very good. He was a bit flaky when he first got onto the PL but I think in recent years he is up there in the top 4 for me. Just a very, very bad day at the office today. As Don Goodman said in commentary, he won't make that same mistake again ..!

What is clear to me though is that they did get to the right result in the end, even though it was incredibly messy. Whatever happened he was going to seriously annoy one club, but to have allowed the goal there would have been fundamentally wrong. And as much as it pains me to say I think Leeds were the better team today and deserved something from the game, but that wouldn't have been the right way to get it.

#6 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

Not sure how many away fans were there today but I drove past Leppings Lane around half time and have never seen so many Police vans in one place, some were obviously local but I saw ones labelled from Durham & Nottingham. Got knows what the overtime bill was for that lot!

#7 User is offline   Danny-r 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

View PostRustyRef, on 16 January 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

I think what he's done is looked over and seen Forestieri (known as Fessi by the Wednesday fans ..!) and as he was walking so slowly he didn't realise he was the one going off. But given Joao was still stood on the half way line with the 4th official and Andy Halliday I can't really work out how he got to that conclusion.

I have the opposite view to you as whenever I've seen Taylor referee he has been very good. He was a bit flaky when he first got onto the PL but I think in recent years he is up there in the top 4 for me. Just a very, very bad day at the office today. As Don Goodman said in commentary, he won't make that same mistake again ..!

What is clear to me though is that they did get to the right result in the end, even though it was incredibly messy. Whatever happened he was going to seriously annoy one club, but to have allowed the goal there would have been fundamentally wrong. And as much as it pains me to say I think Leeds were the better team today and deserved something from the game, but that wouldn't have been the right way to get it.

Regardless of allowing or disallowing the goal, Taylor will get quite the dressing down in his post-match assessment I imagine. I didn't watch the match myself. In years gone by I'm usually at Wednesday away but this time around I had a district cup quarter final for the top of our three local cup competitions which I quite fancied. But from what I'm told he missed quite a few things on both sides. I am curious to what the PGMOL's perspective of this is? They send one of their elite officials to officiate at a lower level and they have, what can be only be described as a monumental mess up. Of course, a mess up is bad at any level, but surely they would expect better of their officials when they send them to officiate at a lower league?

This post has been edited by Danny-r: 17 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users