• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Middlesex FA

#1 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Can someone explain why this still exists as the old county ceased to exist in 1965? :(/>

#2 User is offline   lincs22 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

Why also do we have the four Ridings of Yorkshire instead of North Yorks, East Yorks, West Yorks & South Yorks? They do not align with the current county boundaries.

This would be relevant where you are SF?

This post has been edited by lincs22: 24 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

#3 User is offline   Mooseybaby 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, cricket, good pub grub, my wife & kids.... back in black again having returned from the darkness called "retirement"! :-)

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

You being Middlesexist SF? :lol:/>

Whilst not technically a county anymore, Middlesex is still recognised by the Royal Mail and used as a postal address. Was born and grew up within the boundaries of the old county and my ma & pa still live there.

Pretty sure Middlesex Country Cricket club and it's fans wouldn't want a name change :unsure:/>

#4 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostMooseybaby, on 24 September 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

You being Middlesexist SF? :lol:/>/>

Whilst not technically a county anymore, Middlesex is still recognised by the Royal Mail and used as a postal address. Was born and grew up within the boundaries of the old county and my ma & pa still live there.

Pretty sure Middlesex Country Cricket club and it's fans wouldn't want a name change :unsure:/>/>

Funnily enough my question was from the game the other night in Surrey! I was talking to a gentlemen who was an employee of the PO and stated quite categorically that the new machines that read addresses DO NOT read the county part. They are programmed to look for road names, towns and postcodes ONLY. He was stressing that he goes out to talk to businesses to emphasise the fact and couldn't believe that people were still obsessed by a county name that was abolished in 1965.

Anyway, if its not in Yorkshire, its *****!

#5 User is offline   mintyref 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, running, eating, drinking,

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

View Postlincs22, on 24 September 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Why also do we have the four Ridings of Yorkshire instead of North Yorks, East Yorks, West Yorks & South Yorks? They do not align with the current county boundaries.

Only ever three ridings in Yorkshire, West, North and East.......sithee, none of your suvvern nonsense allowed oop ere!

#6 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

View Postmintyref, on 24 September 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Only ever three ridings in Yorkshire, West, North and East.......sithee, none of your suvvern nonsense allowed oop ere!

http://i57.tinypic.com/350topd.jpg

#7 User is offline   Mewcenary 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 24 September 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

Funnily enough my question was from the game the other night in Surrey! I was talking to a gentlemen who was an employee of the PO and stated quite categorically that the new machines that read addresses DO NOT read the county part. They are programmed to look for road names, towns and postcodes ONLY. He was stressing that he goes out to talk to businesses to emphasise the fact and couldn't believe that people were still obsessed by a county name that was abolished in 1965.

I'm glad that my performance was such that it provoked a conversation about our postal system in the stands ;-)

#8 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostMewcenary, on 24 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

I'm glad that my performance was such that it provoked a conversation about our postal system in the stands ;-)

My granny could have reffed that game, I was trying to get a close up action shot but all the action was well away from my Iphones viewer!!!

A young girl in the crowd (attn 50?) said that the ref was quite pleased when the first goal went in.... I don't think she understood the signal for GOAL...

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 24 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

#9 User is offline   Mewcenary 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 24 September 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

My granny could have reffed that game, I was trying to get a close up action shot but all the action was well away from my Iphones viewer!!!

A young girl in the crowd (attn 50?) said that the ref was quite pleased when the first goal went in.... I don't think she understood the signal for GOAL...

You didn't need to start faffing with your phone - PM me your address and I can get an autographed pic to you, no probs ;-)

#10 User is offline   Sundial 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostMewcenary, on 25 September 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

You didn't need to start faffing with your phone - PM me your address and I can get an autographed pic to you, no probs ;-)

You should have had him ejected Mewc for making the crowd suffer listening to that oop north accent drone on . :lol:/>

#11 User is offline   mintyref 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

[quote name='Mewcenary' date='24 September 2014 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1411589951' post='242070']
[/quote

lmportant things first mewcs, sf will shred your performance later!

#12 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

[quote name='mintyref' date='25 September 2014 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1411647202' post='242077']

View PostMewcenary, on 24 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

[/quote

lmportant things first mewcs, sf will shred your performance later!

Mew did OK, but I do wonder what would happen if a well spoken 'southern' referee turned up in The East Riding with a list of player pre match requirements and tried to inflict some Southern Justice on some Northern Monkeys.... His Little Focus wouldn't have made it out of the carpark!!

#13 User is offline   mintyref 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 25 September 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

ame='mintyref' date='25 September 2014 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1411647202' post='242077']

Mew did OK, but I do wonder what would happen if a well spoken 'southern' referee turned up in The East Riding with a list of player pre match requirements and tried to inflict some Southern Justice on some Northern Monkeys.... His Little Focus wouldn't have made it out of the carpark!!

What pre match player requirements?.........

#14 User is offline   Refelee 

• PipPip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:38 AM

View Postmintyref, on 24 September 2014 - 10:41 PM, said:

Quite right - and it's difficult to see how there could ever have been anything other than three ridings, since the word means a third of something (especially of a county).

It comes from an old English word "þriðing" with the "th" sound of the letter "þ" (thorn) being absorbed into the final "th" or "t" of the word preceding it (normally north, south, east or west).

This post has been edited by Refelee: 09 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

#15 User is offline   mintyref 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostRefelee, on 09 October 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Quite right - and it's difficult to see how there could ever have been anything other than three ridings, since the word means a third of something (especially of a county).

It comes from an old English word "■ri­ing" with the "th" sound of the letter "■" (thorn) being absorbed into the final "th" or "t" of the word preceding it (normally north, south, east or west).

TMI............you wouldn't let it lie would you!

#16 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

View Postmintyref, on 09 October 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

TMI............you wouldn't let it lie would you!

http://i58.tinypic.com/25h0dc5.jpg

Will thee get thi sen a statue put up in't Hull Park when tha finally kicks bucket "His Royal Highness the Lord of Refereeing for East Riding of Yorkshire"!! :P/>/>

I'd class this as an action shot from your last game!!

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 09 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

#17 User is offline   mintyref 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_images/master/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />Sheffields Finest, on 09 October 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Will thee get thi sen a statue put up in't Hull Park when tha finally kicks bucket "His Royal Highness the Lord of Refereeing for East Riding of Yorkshire"!! :P/>/>/>

I'd class this as an action shot from your last game!!

Aye, but that new kit's a bit drafty

#18 User is offline   Rogue 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

View Postlincs22, on 24 September 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

The word riding (in the context of the County name) actually means a third

#19 User is offline   Rogue 

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 24 September 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

Mail sort machines work on post code and fine sort to street name. They revert to town only if they cannot resolve the post code against their database. I used to work in a mail sorting company.

#20 User is offline   Rogue 

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 25 September 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

ame='mintyref' date='25 September 2014 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1411647202' post='242077']

It never did my old mate Elliott Kaye any harm. He managed to get his L4 when he came to God's Own County, learnt a thing or two and then after heading South again, he worked his way to L2.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users