• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sad Passing

#1 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Unfortunately I have to announce the sad passing of Sundial, I had called him over the last few weeks to no avail and his daughter rang me today to tell me that he passed away on 2nd October. She said he had very few names in his phone but I was one of them, a service will be announced and she will text me later.

He was a very private man who swore me to secracy in ever mentioning his real name or correct location. I've known him for about four years and visited his house and town on 2-3 occasions. We kept in regular contact and he helped me with a few council based legal issues. He had a razor mind for detail and I can tell a few tales of his cheeky nature and his love of our humour on here and defending referees in his local area.

He had suffered with a blood condition in his legs last season which resulted in a week in hospital but was raring to go this season and was given the all clear to resume games about a month ago. Our last conversation I recall were a detailed description of his weekend games and games coming up.

He was a local councillor and even had a Sundial fitted in his local park recently but I doubt whether they knew the significance when they voted for it in the council chambers! :D/>/>/>/>

A know a few of my posts may of seemed random but he and I knew the significance and he loved a wind up.

RIP mate and I hope them Pearly Gates were installed with the correct planning permission or else GC is on your case..... :(/>/>/>/>

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 11 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

#2 User is offline   Gary V 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

When life gives you a foul throw, sometimes the game gets abandoned.

Sorry to hear of his passing - I hope you will pass on our sympathies to his family.

#3 User is offline   mintyref 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, running, eating, drinking,

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

Buggar!

Life's a bitch, RIP Sundial, thoughts with his family. Will be sadly missed on here.

#4 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

I advised him to retire at the end of last season, the blood thing really scared him so I was shocked when he got back on the horse this season.

I suppose 66 is a good innings but still gives me a shiver having that awful call and not being able to say Adios or whatever Amigos say. I don't know any of his family, he had a brother in Newquay,(tight bugger even asked me for a lift if I was passing to save the train fare) and at least 2 other older boys that he had actually carded in games!!! He didn't take prisoners, he knew the LOTG to the letter and was gutted in not achieving his level 5 a few years back. He knew the reason, but if you take umbridge with faults in procedures etc with your local CFAs they are bound to bite back at any availability.

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 11 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

#5 User is offline   Mewcenary 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Sad news :(/>

I never realised he was 67! That perhaps says a lot for his youthful exhuberance.

Saw his last comment on here was between us having a bit of banter regarding your attendance to my game 'dahn sarf' a few weeks back. :-/

#6 User is offline   Bester 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

RIP. Always thought provoking, sometimes amusing. Wonder how far he got with his final bingo card?

#7 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

His family I suppose would know nothing about the forum, he absolutely insisted that I didn't mention his occupation or exact location. I teased him with jokes about 'Council'ling, and the 'traffic warden' stuff , which was in response to his work in getting double yellow lines painted in his local high street and getting parking restrictions implemented elsewhere.

He often added references to posts too, he jumped on things I told him about things in my life. Like 'Hedges' and 'taxes' recently!!! He was always interested in my sales for the week and had a very sharp memory for details in everything. I suppose he was looking for ammunition to post something funny about.

I remember he told me that called a game off because the home team refused to shift a load of acorns that had dropped on the pitch, so I followed up with funny references the 'squirreling around' and 'nuts' decisions. He would ring me to say that he'd spotted something placed in my posts and he found it hilarious!!

The OAP jokes were also very apt as his postcode was ** 0AP, he reluctantly gave me that when my satnav didn't find his road, he knew it was red rag to a funny bull!!

He had a massive London accent but wasn't actually living there, we had many a laugh about our regional accents.

I feel like I've lost a good friend, a father figure, "His Royal Highness the Lord of Refereeing for East Riding of Yorkshire" left a nice message on my FB earlier, cheers mate.

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 11 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

#8 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

Really shocked and saddened to hear this. Obviously he and I didn't always see eye to eye, especially in the early days, but nonetheless I respected his opinions and some of his posts did show a very sharp sense of humour.

Aside from the blood condition, from which it sounds like he had recovered, was he suffering from ill health or has this come completely out of the blue?

Comes in a sad month for London refereeing, as LFA stalwart Tom Keane also passed away last week. A legend in his comments putting down players and referees alike, he also served as referee's secretary for the Islington Midweek League for many years (his famous line "Referee: Tom, why do you keep giving me D3 games? Tom: Because there isn't a D4" ...!)

RIP Sundial and Tom.

#9 User is offline   barstewart 

• PipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for letting us know, SF.

If the opportunity arises, please let his family know of Sundial's usefulness to this forum community.

#10 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostRustyRef, on 11 October 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Really shocked and saddened to hear this. Obviously he and I didn't always see eye to eye, especially in the early days, but nonetheless I respected his opinions and some of his posts did show a very sharp sense of humour.

Aside from the blood condition, from which it sounds like he had recovered, was he suffering from ill health or has this come completely out of the blue?

Comes in a sad month for London refereeing, as LFA stalwart Tom Keane also passed away last week. A legend in his comments putting down players and referees alike, he also served as referee's secretary for the Islington Midweek League for many years (his famous line "Referee: Tom, why do you keep giving me D3 games? Tom: Because there isn't a D4" ...!)

RIP Sundial and Tom.

He would research teams in the week to see what their card count was and who were the main team protagonists, he would often brief me on what he was expecting on the weekend, he was certainly self warned to expect certain players to play up....That could go two ways i suppose!

He also got unto some very funny stuff in his council duties, he knew the system backwards and used it on numerous occasions against his own council just for the heck of it! Procedure is procedure he would say and he hated builders who tried to cheat the planning system by greasing the wheels of politicians for their favour!! I will post a clip from his local paper a few years ago to show what i mean!! (names removed etc)

A council has been forced to change its constitution to halt the 'time wasting' actions of a YYY councillor who has called-in a raft of planning applications across YYY.

Cllr XXX, who represents YYY, called-in 14 applications to be considered by YYY development control committee this month.

None were in his ward and in some cases he gave no reason for his action, said YYY, head of legal and democratic services, in a report to the committee.

In response, the council's chief executive YYY has used his urgency powers to make an interim amendment to the constitution to limit call-ins by councillors.

Following the move, councillors will only be able to call-in applications for their ward.

However, if they have concerns about applications in another ward they could ask that area's councillor to call-in the matter on their behalf.

In the report, Miss YYY said: "The call-ins will generate considerable work for officers in the preparation of reports which is unsustainable if repeated regularly, will also generate more printing and will undoubtedly increase the time spent by officers and members at the development control committee meeting, all of which has a cost to the council."

An affected applicant has complained formally about the delay which will be caused to his application.

Applications called-in by Cllr XXX include the demolition of storage buildings, in YYY.

Cllr YYY, who represents the YYY ward, said: "He's just wasting time and holding people up for some reason best known to himself."

When questioned by the XXX Press, Cllr XXX said "Any member is entitled to call-in an application."

He added he had 'no problem' with the constitution change.

Councillors will debate if a permanent change should be made to the constitution next month.

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 11 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

#11 User is offline   Fatlad 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Nutrition, exercise, comedy.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:16 AM

Very sad news.

Did you get to know him through this forum SF ?

#12 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostFatlad, on 12 October 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

Very sad news.

Did you get to know him through this forum SF ?

Yes I did FL, I've met a few forum members over the years on my travels. Always good to chew the fat in various areas of the country. We are all pretty much the same really, forget the levels and all that, we just want to turn up, do our stuff safely and go home...

Its been a good place to learn stuff, have a laugh at times and talk the talk about all things reffing. SiD was a great foil to my cheeky humour side. He had a pile of the LOTGs in his sheltered house front room, all with post it notes for his research into not being caught out in details! I think he went on another forum too where he had nerdy battles on law with a few members that come on here too!

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 12 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

#13 User is offline   Rogue 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

I crossed paths (and swords) with Sundial on many occasions in another place. He could be caustic and abrasive but would defend his points with logic and law. He broke a personal rule to contact me by PM to sympathise when my own health problems curtailed my refereeing career on the grass and shared some of his own woes. We became what passes for friends in this modern age and swapped tales of life away from the public eye.

Although I never met him, I shall miss him. I have one issue though... should he be reported for leaving the field without permission? I hope he would appreciate that one.

Thanks for the advice, the cross words and the friendship. Rest in peace my friend

#14 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

http://i58.tinypic.com/htiwc0.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2ewp3cg.jpg

Bit of googling and I've found his epitath in the local park!!! He told me it was for the WW1 celebrations earlier this year!! The council had no idea why he insisted on wanting it!!!

RIP!!!http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 12 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

#15 User is offline   mintyref 

• Select Group
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, running, eating, drinking,

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

A very fitting tribute, even if it is only the few on here that will know the double meaning.......and chosen by himself too.

#16 User is offline   Elliot 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:MCFC and reffing

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Very sad news, all the best to his family

#17 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

He's probably up there chuckling as we speak...........http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif. A proud little Englander....

He also told me the original reason for the tag name 'Sundial'......

Everywhere he went he would cast a dark shadow (mischievous).......That was his humour to a tee!!!!http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gifhttp://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 12 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

#18 User is offline   DonutUK 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

Terribly sad news.

Lost for words.

#19 User is offline   mickref 

• Pip

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

Rip Sundial

#20 User is offline   Roo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

Certainly didn't expect to be reading this!

SD brought 2 things to the forum- banter and a difference of opinion.

This is something any forum needs and cannot thrive without.

RIP Sundial :(/>

#21 User is offline   Paulw 

• PipPip
  • Interests:'Trying is the first step towards failure.' - Homer Simpson
    Millwall FC

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostRoo, on 13 October 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Certainly didn't expect to be reading this!

SD brought 2 things to the forum- banter and a difference of opinion.

This is something any forum needs and cannot thrive without.

RIP Sundial :(/>/>

Indeed, great shame

#22 User is offline   The Chairman 

• Boss
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Fitness & Nutrition, Computers

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Just heard the news.

Rest in peace, my friend. This forum, the refereeing community and all the other places you "cast your shadow" will miss you.

#23 User is offline   Mooseybaby 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Football, cricket, good pub grub, my wife & kids.... back in black again having returned from the darkness called "retirement"! :-)

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Didn't know him personally, but always sad to hear of another's passing, especially when they are a fellow brother in black!

RIP! :(/>

This post has been edited by Mooseybaby: 14 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

#24 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

http://www.haverhill...-park-1-6220414

Found this local video of the opening of his epitaph (not that they knew it)' the old $#%^ he planned this meticulously, I watched this with a tear in my eye to see him even get the honour of removing one of the flags and be praised locally for a worthy act of remembrance.....who knows, he may have known!!!

We all have memories of him I'm sure, some good, some not so good but one this is true, he was unique, sleep well Gordon! :(/>

#25 User is offline   TimT 

• PipPip

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

http://www.cambridge...tail/story.html

RIP

#26 User is offline   Refelee 

• PipPip

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hadn't been on the forum for about a week, so I just saw this. Sad news indeed. RIP Sundial.

#27 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

http://www.haverhill...unced-1-6363974

Let's hope he gets a final great 'send off' from his family and friends and CFA get a great payday for the local football Acadamy... :(/>

I would have thought with all his contributions over the years they would have one of the best club houses already!!

Adios Amigo

#28 User is offline   Tealeaf 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Being the best parent I can

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Never actually put 2 and 2 together until I looked at the link above. We had met on more than one occasion but I never made the connection.

If I may offer by way of an epitaph.

A pedant, and a professional pain in the ****.

Think he'd appreciate that one.

Sleep well sir.

#29 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

http://www.cambridge...tail/story.html

Love HIS choice of records to his ceremony....'Shadd app aye face' and the title music to 'Only Fools'.......perfection http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif... Great to see even the local councillor respecting his tenaciousness with the harp mention and he had every episode of the box set and you couldn't pull him up on anything related to that.

Lets hope they all left laughing, he would have preferred that!!!http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users