• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sky Influence?

#1 User is offline   Danny-r 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:09 AM

Today I was at the Huddersfield vs Leeds game which was live on Sky Sports and I noticed something.

Firstly, I assume this has happened for a while but surprisingly given the amount of live football I watch in person it was the first time I noticed somebody between the dugouts blow a whistle to indicate to the referee that Sky were ready for kick off.

Secondly, there were 8 minutes of added time during the first half due to a lengthy injury and then several smaller injuries that required treatment. In the second half I noticed significantly that the referee immediately began trying to get the player off the pitch as soon as treatment began on the pitch. My opinion on that as a referee is that I am not medically trained, and whether he can or can't be moved is not my choice, until he is declared able then I'm happy for him to stay on the pitch with one of my watches stopped adding the time on. There were several smaller injuries and the referee could be visibly seen as trying to get the player off the pitch as soon as treatment began. I did question whether or not he'd been asked to try and half a second half with less injury time by somebody in order to prevent Sky running over? There was a definitive change in style from the referee after half time in this area.

#2 User is offline   Elliot 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:MCFC and reffing

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:29 AM

Yes your first point, happens at every live game and has done for years

Your second point I agree with. I saw the second half and assume you're referring to mowatt's knee injury (at least I think it was him) on the edge of the Leeds box. He was clearly in some discomfort and the ref was noticeably ushering him away in the middle if recieving treatment. Seemed an odd thing to do and all it accomplished was to get the Huddersfield fans' backs up as it looked like the player was doing nothing in response. Perhaps you're right, refs might receive different instructions on how to deal with stoppages depending on if it's a TV game or not, but unless we make it to that level ourselves I doubt we'll find out!

#3 User is offline   Danny-r 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostElliot, on 08 November 2015 - 01:29 AM, said:

Yes your first point, happens at every live game and has done for years

Your second point I agree with. I saw the second half and assume you're referring to mowatt's knee injury (at least I think it was him) on the edge of the Leeds box. He was clearly in some discomfort and the ref was noticeably ushering him away in the middle if recieving treatment. Seemed an odd thing to do and all it accomplished was to get the Huddersfield fans' backs up as it looked like the player was doing nothing in response. Perhaps you're right, refs might receive different instructions on how to deal with stoppages depending on if it's a TV game or not, but unless we make it to that level ourselves I doubt we'll find out!

In regards to the whistle, it was just something that I hadn't seen before despite Sky Sports being pretty much Sky Sports Leeds recently :lol:/>

I don't think it was as much as an instructor on how to deal with a TV game because the mentality was a change from how he dealt with injuries in the first half, I felt something had been said to him. I do not at all think Sky have any sort of contact with the match official, but I do feel a message was passed down the chain that, with the 8 minutes injury time they were pushing it and to try and keep it on the low.

#4 User is offline   Gary V 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

Get to Wembley for the next NFL game there. (Hope you didn't see our hapless Detroit Lions in the last one.) Our gridiron games all have "the man in the red hat" on the sideline who tells the officiating crew when the TV commercial is over and the game can resume.

#5 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

I've been 4th official for several live televised games, and I've never seen anyone other than the referee use a whistle.

It is very "managed" though. The TV production company has a "floor manager" and he or she is responsible for ensuring that everything runs to schedule. They will dictate at exactly what time the referee needs to have the teams in the tunnel and then what time they begin to walk out onto the pitch. Then when the teams are lined up ready to kick off the referee will wait for a signal from the floor manager or the 4th official (under the direction of the floor manager), as after all they can't have the game kicked off in the middle of an advert for Paddy Power or Sky Bet ..! You will usually see someone stood by the half way line with his arm out horizontally, when he drops his arm to his side the referee then blows the whistle to kick off.

Throughout the game the floor manager will stand near the 4th official and will constantly be asking him for information, for example what a caution was for, which player was cautioned if they are not sure, etc. They will also ask how much stoppage time is going to be added, this is how they always seem to know before the 4th official puts the board up. All of this is easy with the comms kit, but without it the 4th official can be in a difficult place as he may well by just as mystified as to why a caution was handed out as the TV crew are ..!

All that said, I've never seen anyone from the TV crew try to influence anything on the pitch other than the exact start of the game and 2nd half. In one game we played 7 minutes extra in the 2nd half and no one moaned as far as I was aware. Where they do get upset is if there are delays before kick off, as this absolutely messes up their advert schedules. In one game we had massive problems with sock tape, and it was causing such a delay they wanted us to let it go, no way that was going to happen though.

#6 User is offline   Danny-r 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

View PostRustyRef, on 08 November 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I've been 4th official for several live televised games, and I've never seen anyone other than the referee use a whistle.

It is very "managed" though. The TV production company has a "floor manager" and he or she is responsible for ensuring that everything runs to schedule. They will dictate at exactly what time the referee needs to have the teams in the tunnel and then what time they begin to walk out onto the pitch. Then when the teams are lined up ready to kick off the referee will wait for a signal from the floor manager or the 4th official (under the direction of the floor manager), as after all they can't have the game kicked off in the middle of an advert for Paddy Power or Sky Bet ..! You will usually see someone stood by the half way line with his arm out horizontally, when he drops his arm to his side the referee then blows the whistle to kick off.

Throughout the game the floor manager will stand near the 4th official and will constantly be asking him for information, for example what a caution was for, which player was cautioned if they are not sure, etc. They will also ask how much stoppage time is going to be added, this is how they always seem to know before the 4th official puts the board up. All of this is easy with the comms kit, but without it the 4th official can be in a difficult place as he may well by just as mystified as to why a caution was handed out as the TV crew are ..!

All that said, I've never seen anyone from the TV crew try to influence anything on the pitch other than the exact start of the game and 2nd half. In one game we played 7 minutes extra in the 2nd half and no one moaned as far as I was aware. Where they do get upset is if there are delays before kick off, as this absolutely messes up their advert schedules. In one game we had massive problems with sock tape, and it was causing such a delay they wanted us to let it go, no way that was going to happen though.

Could that be due to the fact it was the second half though? The 8 minutes added was in the first half and the way in which the referee was acting made it seem like someone had said something along the lines of "we don't really have space in the schedule if a similar amount is added at the end of the second half". Baring in mind it's usually the second half injury time that is the larger.

#7 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

View PostDanny-r, on 08 November 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

Could that be due to the fact it was the second half though? The 8 minutes added was in the first half and the way in which the referee was acting made it seem like someone had said something along the lines of "we don't really have space in the schedule if a similar amount is added at the end of the second half". Baring in mind it's usually the second half injury time that is the larger.

Very much doubt it, delays happen in football games and the TV companies know this. At the end of the day it really doesn't make any difference if it is the half time adverts or the ones after full time that run late - the companies paying for the adverts won't give a hoot as long as they are shown in full.

In terms of the injuries, then technically players should not receive treatment on the pitch. Rather an assessment should take place and the player then be removed, by stretcher if necessary, to have treatment. Obviously if the physio says the player cannot be moved then that is their decision, but if the magic spray comes out or the physio starts trying to help an injury by applying treatment (e.g. moving legs / arms, using cold spray, etc) they should be encouraged to get the player off.

#8 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

A few years ago (as Rusty will know) Sheff Wendy won a trophy as a second tier team beating Manure Utd, the game was reluctantly shown on Leeds TV (or Yorkshire TV as its more commonly known as round here).... They reluctantly showed the whole game and a 30 second view of the presentation and then cut the coverage to........a fecking Monster Trucks Show....This caused great hilarity at this end of the City and spawned a wendy fanzine.... No interviews, no fans celebrating, no walking around the pitch with the trophy, nothing!!! http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

https://parsoncrossr...th-paul-taylor/

http://en.espn.co.uk...tory/86526.html

This post has been edited by Sheffields Finest: 08 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

#9 User is offline   RustyRef 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:40 PM

http://refereeforum.net/forum/public/style_images/master/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />Sheffields Finest, on 08 November 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

A few years ago (as Rusty will know) Sheff Wendy won a trophy as a second tier team beating Manure Utd, the game was reluctantly shown on Leeds TV (or Yorkshire TV as its more commonly known as round here).... They reluctantly showed the whole game and a 30 second view of the presentation and then cut the coverage to........a fecking Monster Trucks Show....This caused great hilarity at this end of the City and spawned a wendy fanzine.... No interviews, no fans celebrating, no walking around the pitch with the trophy, nothing!!!
https://parsoncrossr...th-paul-taylor/

http://en.espn.co.uk...tory/86526.html

I was there in person so didn't really care (or know) what LTV had done. I do remember it caused absolute outrage though and just proved the very heavy Leeds bias of YTV (which has actually persisted even to this date)

#10 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostRustyRef, on 08 November 2015 - 08:40 PM, said:

I was there in person so didn't really care (or know) what LTV had done. I do remember it caused absolute outrage though and just proved the very heavy Leeds bias of YTV (which has actually persisted even to this date)

At least Wednesday were honoured with being presented with the cup by a leading Royal, politician, Filmstar, Notable Dignitary, oh wait, It was Rumbelows Checkout girl of the year Tracey Bateman... ;)/>

#11 User is offline   Gary V 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostSheffields Finest, on 08 November 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

They reluctantly showed the whole game and a 30 second view of the presentation and then cut the coverage to........a fecking Monster Trucks Show

At least they showed the whole game. The NFL had the infamous "Heidi Bowl": https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Heidi_Game

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users