The Referee Forum: Referees must be allowed to defend themselves in public... - The Referee Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Referees must be allowed to defend themselves in public... ... or they will continue to be punch-bags and scapegoats

#1 User is offline   TimT 

• PipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

http://www.telegraph...scapegoats.html

#2 User is offline   Roo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

Very good piece.

It's all well and good saying referees can come out and advise on their decisions; but when do and don't you have to go public?

Is it only when you award a penalty? Send someone off? Give an incorrect throw in that leads to a goal?

#3 User is offline   Sheffields Finest 

• Forum Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

Great piece.......

Not at that level but i've always defended our craft on my league forum on Saturdays. You do get the odd moron and a few 'silly MOTD' lack of education type comments. But most players are gracious and understand that its a difficult job but appreciate that without a ref its a nightmare and having someone to sometimes explain decisions is usually positive.

I pulled one lad up last week for saying that the ref 'bottled' two penalties for his team!!! I asked him if he wanted the ref to be 100% sure if he gave a decision (either way)and if he wasn't then he shouldn't ever give it. He eventually agreed that 'Bottled' was a bit strong and retracted his comments with an apology. I think its great when refs are allowed to speak out, why not, we can look very aloof if we just block every criticism out and think we are untouchable.

Debate is a good thing in the right controlled environment. :)/>

#4 User is offline   Danny-r 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

The issue is I don't see any change in the situation we currently have, spectators assume they have a better knowledge than the top referees. I just see a scenario occurring of the referee talking and then been told he is wrong when he is correct. Fans think they know the laws better than anyone and it doesn't matter if someone qualified tells them otherwise.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users